< Back to FAQs

What about residential-use lights that have been accidentally broken?

Place the broken item in a sealed plastic bag or a sealed glass container and take it to a nearby LightRecycle depot.

For clean-up instructions (for fluorescent lights that contain mercury such as CFLs and fluorescent tubes), visit the Health Canada website. If you do break a fluorescent light bulb, Health Canada recommends the following cleanup procedures:

  • Ventilate the room for at least 15 minutes before you start clean up, removing people and pets from the room.
  • Wear disposable gloves, if possible to avoid direct contact with mercury and to prevent cuts.
  • Sweep or wipe up the glass fragments and powder using two pieces of stiff paper or cardboard.
  • Use sticky tape to pick up fine glass and powder and then wipe the area with a damp paper towel to pick up any residue.
  • If the bulb breaks on a rug or carpet, use sticky tape (such as duct tape) to pick up small pieces and powder. Vacuuming should be avoided as it spreads mercury through the area. If vacuuming is necessary, remove the vacuum bag or empty and wipe the canister with paper towel after the area is cleaned.
  • Place the broken glass and clean-up materials in a glass container with a tight fitting lid or two sealed plastic bags to further minimize the release of mercury vapour.
  • Bring the sealed glass container or sealed plastic bags to a collection site.